Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Happy New Year

My new year has started out great. I have three new students in my art class at the Silver City Senior Citizen Center. Because the center was closed for MLK Day we met at my apartment and viewed and discussed a number of pictures by contemporary New Mexican artists. The book, Art Journey New Mexico, 104 Painter's Perspectives, was put together with the help of gallaries in the northern part of New Mexico. Unfortunately it is heavily slanted to oils, with just a few pastels and watercolors. No other mediums were shown. Hopefully someday pastels, colored pencils, etc., will get the recognition they deserve. I consider oils the most forgiving medium there is. It takes a lot of skill to create a good picture in watercolor or colored pencil. Pastel is also a medium that I enjoy working in but it also takes drawing skill to have a good picture. That's my soapbox for this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment